Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I Always Love a Road Trip

I have just traveled for four days across the country with my husband in a Honda, in the middle of winter. Our trip was undertaken to deliver the car to our daughter, who recently became engaged.

In spite of having to pull off the road in the middle of heavy snow in Iowa, and again at Sidney, Nebraska, we had great weather and a wonderful opportunity to see the country in which we live.

Since we were raised in Los Angeles and now live in the Washington, DC suburbs, it's a nice wake-up call to see the way most of America lives. Odd, too, to see a place like Springfield, Illinois--a small town even if it is a state capitol.

What was nice was to see that my husband and I still enjoy one another's company on such an excursion, even after 27 years of marriage. Of course, the trip included shopping for a wedding dress, which my husband undertook with great sportsmanship! I overheard a salesgirl say to my daughter, "You have really fun parents!" I think we're fun and interesting people, and it's nice when a comment like that is unsolicited.


No comments: