Sunday, February 17, 2008

Open Mouth, Insert Foot

Sometimes I think I have the worst propensity of anyone to inadvertently insult people. There is a very nice woman with whom I cannot really say I am friends, but we are more than aquaintances. We were introduced many years ago by a mutual friend, and we communicate a couple of times a year (she has moved away from the area) but it seems that every time I am with her I manage to do something, completely unintentionally, to insult her or at the very least is rude to her. I really like her and enjoy her company, but if she does not feel like that toward me, I don't blame her!

I am very conscientious, most of the time, of my manners and try very hard not to make comments that are disrespectful of others. But I'm not careful enough, evidently. I am now on my way to doing the same stuff to my daughter's future in-laws!

While on a visit to make plans for the wedding a couple of weeks ago, I commented to Julie's future sister-in-law that I was totally against bridesmaids wearing black. I just can't get past these black-and-white or red-black-and-white weddings (though my daughter-in-law used those colors after soliciting my opinion. I told her what I thought, but also that it was her wedding and therefore her decision. My son loves red and black! He thought it was great.) Well, Julie's future sister-in-law had red and black too. Strike one.

The next day, I offended the girlfriend of Julie's future brother-in-law by launching into a denunciation of Hillary Clinton. Both my husband and I, and Julie's fiance's mom and stepfather were in agreement, but the girlfriend got up and left the room. I apologized, but there you are.

Then, a few days later, I was on the phone with Julie and these same young women were in the car with her. The sister-in-law offered to make invitations on her computer, which she had done for her sister a couple of years ago. I immediately said no; I like real copperplate engraved invitations or at the very least raised lettering. (Invitations are a real issue with me; I like very traditional styles and wording.) I am sure I insulted this young woman again.

It seems my life is full of these faux pas. I really like other people and I am tolerant of views other than my own, but I am also opinionated and outspoken. Yikes! Guess it's a good thing I live 2000 miles away!

1 comment:

gurrbonzo said...

Haha! Welcome to my life. I inadvertently insult people constantly...but that way, they always know how we feel, so when we like something, they don't have to worry we're "just saying that." Right?? Right.