Monday, December 24, 2012

Happiness, again

The Constitution of the United States guarantees Americans the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It does not guarantee happiness itself; only the right to pursue it.

The pursuit of happiness is, I believe, ingrained in humans. But how do we square our pursuit of happiness with the selfishness that makes the natural man an enemy to God?

Because of my faith, I believe God and Jesus Christ want me to turn from my natural tendencies to complain, be selfish, sleep too much, eat too much, and just be nasty. It is much easier to give in to these tendencies than to fight them, unfortunately.

But, oddly enough, behaving in the way that feels most natural to me does not bring me happiness. Quite the contrary! I am happiest when I am exercising, accomplishing tasks that help my family, and striving to become more disciplined and productive.

Recently I finished the book, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. She is a 30-something attorney-turned-writer in New York, the mother of two, and an inveterate researcher. So she set up her own project to become happier over the course of a year. And guess what? She found that happiness was highest when she was kinder and nicer to her husband and kids, including extending more patience and compassion to her daughters (I wish I'd been able to learn this 25 years ago), disciplining herself by mindfully working resolutions to eat better, organize better, and overall exercise more self-discipline; to increase her charitable donations, and to cultivate a more loving and benevolent attitude toward life. It was fascinating to read about her discoveries that led to what I would call a more Christlike life.

And she came to these conclusions in a completely secular way.

One of the things she did was designate a week wherein she made no negative comments whatsoever. It was difficult, and she did not do it perfectly, but she became mindful of what she was doing and really tried to be completely positive. This is one thing I am definitely going to do!

Rubin also came to the conclusion that being cheerful and positive are harder to do than being cranky and negative. Very true. It was a boost to have someone acknowledge this. I remind myself of it when I am trying to be cheerful in the face of problems or another person's negativity.

Reading this book helped me know that I am on the right path for myself. I am impressed that she came to these conclusions so early in life--I wish I had, but at least I was living the gospel of Jesus Christ, so I was making some progress in the right direction.

I am excited to begin a new year for the first time in a long time. I choose to be happy this new year.

No comments: