Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ronnie, We Miss You

I saw a t-shirt in a catalog recently. It was a picture of Ronald Reagan, with the caption, "Miss me yet?"

Yeah, I'll say we miss you.

Ronald Reagan understood the American people. He was one of them. He wasn't afraid to do the right thing. He was not afraid of calling a spade a spade (the Soviet Union was an evil empire!), and he had great gifts, one of which was knowing how to lead.

We have not had his like in the White House since.

I spent nearly eight hours standing in line in front of the Capitol building to merely pay my respects and walk by his flag-draped casket when he lay in state. Around 4 a.m., I got my turn, and nearly burst into tears. A great man was gone.

I am so glad I gave up a night's sleep to do that. I will never forget it. It was the least I could do for someone who set such a great example.

Reagan restored sense, nobility, and class to the office of the presidency. He believed in the moral superiority of the mission of the United States and he wasn't afraid to proclaim that. He never allowed the naysayers and the so-called experts to dictate what he did--he listened to them, but then he decided what to do based on what was best for his country, and what his moral compass told him was right.

I don't know if I can ever be as great a person as Ronald Reagan, but that's the kind of person I strive to be.

I can only pray that someone else of his high caliber will come forth to lead this country again.

No comments: