Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Only Time is the Present

I think about the future a lot. Well, I worry about it a lot, anyway. Where will I live? What will my children be doing? New one: Will I be healthy? Will we have enough money?

My mother was a great worrier. I guess she thought it helped; she certainly felt that it was necessary in order to show caring. It's taken me a long time to get rid of some of the worrying I do.

Worry is entirely counterproductive--it can become an obsessive, paralyzing preoccupation. In most cases, it's wasted on things we cannot change or fix. Concern is different. Concern means that there is some apprehension about the person or situation, but there is something about concern that indicates it's not dwelled upon, and that it is outside the jurisdiction of the person who is concerned. Concern is appropriate; worry often is not.

I realize that I have no true legitimate reason to be overly concerned about the future, so that immediately negates any productive reason to worry.

Wish it were that easy.

1 comment:

Blasé said...

Stop with the worrying. It's a sin.