Sunday, July 12, 2009

No County for Old Women

So, a friend of mine wants me to attend the Relief Society Book Group. The book this month is Emma, by Jane Austen. A classic, right? You'd think the regional (meaning bigger than most of the others) library in my town would have several copies, right?

You'd be wrong.

Not finding the book in the stacks, I went to the online card catalog. I typed in the word "Emma" as the book title. Simple, huh?

Ninety-eight different titles came up. Beginning with "The Wonderful Adventures of Emma," or something like that.

WHAT THE?

I scrolled through five pages of book titles, none of which was simply Emma, to the last page. Then came the videos. FINALLY, there it was: my library was in possession of ONE large-print copy. No others. And it was checked out.

This library does, however, have available copies of Hello!, People, and InStyle.

I had to order the book to be sent from another library.

Now, keep in mind that in the county where I live, the median household income is $105,000 per year, the highest in the nation. And we pay the taxes to show for it.

Yes, this is a cranky post, and I really do try not to be cranky for various reasons, not the least of which is that I believe in purging one's life of crankiness, but this really dumbfounded me. It shows I'm getting old. I should've gone to Borders and shelled out the $15 for the book. It would have been easier on my blood pressure.

1 comment:

Lauren Palmer said...

The library in my parent's neighborhood didn't have a single copy of George Orwell's 1984. That was pretty bad.