Sunday, May 24, 2009

Endings and Beginnings

For some reason, today my emotions have been very close to the surface. I'm not exactly sure why, except that hormones do another wild dance as women approach menopause, and that may be the cause. It could also be because I am reading a book which brings up a lot of emotions, and I am also writing about raising my children, which is another emotional experience.

We attended the temple with Ethan Tuesday night, and I was once again struck by the profound joy of knowing that no matter what, my children are sealed to me. I am so grateful for that privilege. I love my children even more now than when they were born.

My friend Beverly died last week and her funeral was on Friday. That was not too sad, as Bev suffered for a long time with brain cancer, and her only daughter was grown with three beautiful daughters herself. But the past year has brought a lot of rather stressful experiences for me, which now seem to be coming home to roost.

My youngest child graduated from high school and began college 2500 miles away. Five friends of mine have died, four from cancer. My older daughter got married. My mother's health has deteriorated badly. Add to this crises with our economy and job uncertainty, and I guess it's inevitable that I get emotional.

A particular elder serving in our ward is going home this week, and for some reason this has upset me deeply! Though there have been many elders and sisters move through our ward over the past 22 years, and some I have known better and loved a great deal, but this particular young man has touched my heart in a profound way. I truly feel the Spirit when I talk to him. As I left church this afternoon, I wished him well, and thanked him for his service--and I choked up. Embarrassed, I rushed past him, then turned and said, "Go home, and be a good man." In front of a lot of people, too!

I hope--and in my heart I know--that out there in Utah there must have been someone who felt like that about my son. The young men and women who make such a great sacrifice of time and personal indulgence to serve missions are a tremendous blessing to those whose lives they touch. We need them. The world needs them. Thank you, Elder M. We will miss you.

No comments: